Inno4scale Call for proposals – Innovation studies leading to proof-of-concept demonstrators executed on exascale systems
The Inno4scale project will support the EuroHPC Joint Undertaking in achieving the efficient use of its supercomputing resources through the development of novel algorithms for applications on those resources.
It will do this by funding a set of focused innovation studies that will realize proof-of-concept demonstrators of fundamentally new and innovative algorithms with a clearly identified potential impact through integration and use in important applications.
The call addresses researchers that have identified novel concepts for computational solutions of important numerical problems in scientific applications and use cases which rely on exascale supercomputers.
Proposals and proposed new algorithms will be assessed on the basis of their potential to reduce resource consumption of typical use cases executed on the European supercomputer infrastructure across applications and application domains, which must be clearly demonstrated by applicants.
The maximum funding request per proposal is € 200,000 (covering all participants).
The maximum level of effort to be supported for a proposed innovation study is 24 person months (in total).
Innovation study activities for the successful proposals are expected to commence at TRL 0-1 and achieve TRL 3-4 by the end of the 12-month study period.
Expected duration of innovation studies: maximum 12 months with expected commencement not later than 1st February 2024.
The proposed innovation studies are expected to:
- Demonstrate scientific excellence on the identified and proposed novel, forward-looking and potentially disruptive approaches to the solution of complex mathematical, numerical or data processing problems on current and future European exascale supercomputers.
- Present proofs-of-concepts and solutions, which:
- Clearly demonstrate great potential to solve currently non-tractable computational challenges in the context of use of the European flagship HPC systems;
- Clearly demonstrate significantly superior performance compared to existing solutions and exploiting the specific capabilities of Exascale supercomputers by recovering compute or improving substantially time-to-solution and energy-to-solution for important use cases, possibly across scientific domains;
- Demonstrate the potential to be integrated into important applications, addressing relevant use cases with a broad user base.
- Involve a balanced and appropriate consortium which:
- Includes all necessary parties required for the effective and efficient execution of the proposed study;
- Involves at most 3 organisations, each of which is assigned at least 6 person months of effort.
- Define the HPC computing resources they need and budget for them. Successful proposals will be encouraged and assisted to obtain access to exascale technology for their development purposes, notably through the Benchmark and Development Access calls for the EuroHPC JU systems, in order to test and implement their algorithm concepts and/or novel solutions. (Inno4scale will not be in a position to provide computing resources).
- Deliver, as part of their final reporting, a report suitable for broad communication to non-technical experts (incl. stakeholders and the general public).